Check Out Washington
Patrons of nearly half the public libraries in Washington have a unique option when they check out books and DVDs – they also can check out Washington’s great outdoors.
A program called ‘Check Out Washington’ makes a limited-edition Discover Pass available to library card holders to "check out" for a limited period. The Discover Pass allows borrowers access to millions of acres of state parks and other state public lands.
Check Out Washington is offered by Washington State Parks in partnership with the Washington State Library and the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife and Department of Natural Resources.
The COVID -19 pandemic closed all Washington libraries in March of 2020, and only a few have fully reopened. Many are now providing curbside pickup service, including the Check Out Washington Discover Passes. Others are still closed as their county moves through the phases of the Safe Start Washington plan.
Participating library systems include those listed below. This list is updated periodically. For more information, email Check Out Washington, or call your local library.
- Asotin County Library
- Burlington Public Library
- Camas Public Library\
- Central Skagit Library
- East Adams Library District
- Ellensburg Public Library
- Fort Vancouver Regional Libraries
- Jefferson County Library
- Joint Base Lewis-McChord Libraries
- King County Library System
- Kitsap Regional Library
- LaConner Regional Library
- Liberty Lake Municipal library
- Mount Vernon City Library
- North Central Washington Libraries
- North Olympic Library System
- Pend Oreille County Library District
- Pierce County Library System
- Port Townsend Public Library
- Puyallup Public Library
- San Juan Island Library
- Spokane County Library District
- Spokane Public Library
- Sprague Public Library
- Tacoma Public Library
- Timberland Regional Library
- Upper Skagit Library District
- Walla Walla Public Library
- Walla Walla Rural Library District
- Whitman County Library
- Yakima Valley Libraries